Thomson Reuters released a ranking of the world's top 100 materials scientists, based on their research impact in the past 10 years. Altogether 15 Chinese made the top 100 list, while 6 of them occupying the top 6 slots.
- Peidong Yang of University of California Berkeley
- Yadong Yin of California Riverside
- Michael H. Huang of National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan
- Younan Xia of Washington University St. Louis
- Yugang Sun of Argonne National Laboratory
- Yiying Wu of Ohio State University
Yang, Yin, Xia, Sun and Wu all graduated from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) in Hefei, Anhui Province.