Under the tightened Internet censorship, 'Sparta' was used in place of 'the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China' because of its similarity in pronunciation.
- We verified following activities had been prohibited in Beijing:
- Any cooking knives were removed from the shelf;
- RC airplanes buyer must register at toy stores;
- Taxis were ordered to steer away from important streets, back seats rollers were removed;
- Buses running on important streets were replaced with models without openable windows;
- All touring boats, except two ferries in the North-Sea Park and the three dragon boats in the Summer Palace Park, were ordered to stop operation;
- P.E. classes in schools were suspended;
- All construction sites suspended; all painting jobs banned;
- Pigeons must be contained in cages;
- The Annual Beijing International Marathon was canceled;
The expected one-a-decade power transition had been delayed due to the intricacies of handling the Bo Xilai case, triggered by the attempted defection of Bo's henchman Wang Lijun to the US General Consulates in Chengdu, Sichuan Province.