Saturday, June 12, 2010

The fate of a little girl

A sketch of the little girl based
on the passenger's description.
The girl looks like 3 years old,
small and narrow face, big eyes,
long eyelets, curved hair.
She was wearing Adidas top,
a pink skirt and Adidas pants.
However, the clothes were very
dirty. She was bear foot.
A little girl disappeared from a packed train in Jiangxi, China on June 8. Hundreds children were stolen and kidnapped in China everyday. At any given time, hundreds of stolen children were being transported by cars, trucks, buses, and train. One of such trafficking was noticed by an alert passenger Mr. Yang. Mr. Yang attempted to dial 110, police emergence number, but was not able to connect. Mr. Yang then notified the railroad attendance, once oral, and once in writting, and the police on board. Mr. Yang took off at station of Quzhou at 8:14 on June 9, when he got hooked up and posted online, while the train was travelling at over 100mph on its way from Wenzhou, Zhejiang to Guiyang, Guizhou. The post received more than 2.5 million hits and 200 pages of threads in a matter of hours.

Hundreds of thousands of Chinese Internet readers were mobilized to contact dozens of police and national security agencies through public as well as private channels. All railroad and police agencies along the thousand mile of railroad were contacted while the K941 train was in their judiciary. National and Provincial governments were contacted, too.

And the 3 years old girl disappeared along with the human traffickers.

No single government, railroad or police department reacted to the repeated alert. It is reported that in some major cities on the route, the police emergency number were blocked because of the volume of the calls on the little girl from all over the country. The most common answer from the dispatchers was, 'we know, thank you.' And that was it.

Finally, one of the Internet readers got his brother, a railroad detective in Zhuzhou, Hunan to abroad the train when it arrived Zhuzhou at 16:36 on June 9. The railroad police on the train told the detective that the girl and the traffickers were taken off the train in Yingtan, Jiangxi by police for questioning.

The online community celebrated, only to know that the onboard turned out to be a lie, the reason of the lie (to a police colleague) was difficult to comprehend.

Police's inaction in 8 hours while the train K941 was travelling between Quzhou and Jiangtan.

Three days later, the facts we could collect at this time was, the group was on the train in Cart 11, seat 97 while Mr. Yang took off at the station of Quzhou. They were no longer seen by the time the train left station of Yingtan, a huge train hub connecting three major railroads. While media pressure mounting on, police in Yingtan checked all surveillance cameras in the station, but did not find the group. There were three stations between Quzhou and Yingtan, which were Yushan, Shangrao and Guixi.

Now you get an idea why so many children could disappear in a totalitarian police state. You may also get an idea why Premier Wenjia stated there was deeper social root to understand the multiple high profile violent unrests in a recent talk.

Stolen children were often trained to be beggars. In order to take advantage of people's sympathy, many of them were maimed. They would be broken both legs and sometimes all four limps, blinded, had tongue cut, etc. Some were sold to government infancy, where they would be sold to American adopters.

No comments: